When having candida, you have to avoid eating certain foods, in particular, anything with sugar, and carbs. I know it is very hard to stay away from these, especially when having candida because it makes you have sugar cravings. As time goes by, it will get easier to not have these cravings. So have patience, it will get better.
Here is a list of foods to avoid:
- Anything containing sugar such as chocolate.
- Anything containing wheat. White rice, all bread products, pasta. Wheat contains a protein that breaks down the intestinal cell wall causing leaky gut. The leaky gut syndrome causes food allergies, skin rashes, breathing difficulties, hives and fever to name a few.
- Vinegars' should be avoided, such as; pickles, green olives, soy sauce, ketchup, mustard, salad dressing, mayonnaise.
- Peanuts and pistachios
- Diet and regular sodas. Coffee.
- Dairy, especially milk. It leeches calcium from the bones and teeth. Butter is ok.
- Stay away from alcohol.
These vegetables should be avoided because they are high in carbs:
- All pork products, and processed meats: Pork contains retroviruses that survive cooking and may be harmful to those with a weakened dgestive system. Processed meats like lunch meat and spam are loaded with dextrose nitrates, sulfates and sugars.
All fish except salmon and sardines.
- All shellfish: All shellfish and most fish contain alarming levels of heavy metals and toxins. These will suppress your immune system and leave you vulnerable to Candida. Studies have shown that farmed salmon contain high levels of PCBs, mercury and other carcinogenic agents.
Citric acid and anything you cannot pronounce! The manufactured, additive form of citric acid is derived from yeast. However the natural form, as found in lemons and limes, is OK on the diet.
Additives and preservatives can disrupt your friendly bacteria and allow the Candida yeast to flourish.
- Anything with caffeine: Caffeine can cause your blood sugar to rise, but the main problem is that it weakens the adrenals and can impair your immune system. Coffee also contains mold. Even decaf tea and coffee are to be avoided, as they contain residual levels of caffeine.
- All soy products: Soy products are mostly forbidden, as the majority of soy is genetically modified. If you can find non-GMO tofu, it should be OK to eat.
- Mushroom, truffles: Mushrooms don't "feed" Candida as some websites claim, but eating some fungi can cause an inflammatory reaction if you are already suffering from Candida. On the other hand, some medicinal mushrooms are actually OK on the diet and have strong immune-boosting properties. Good examples are Reishi and Maitake.
FOODS TO EAT:
Chicken, turkey and other poultry (free-range and organic)
Coffee or tea without sweetening. Some people with candidiasis are aggravated by caffeine: choose decaffeinated options.
- Collard greens
- Dairy that is full-fat, organic, and preferably raw (If you have difficulty digesting fat, eliminate dairy from your candida diet.)
- Eggs (free-range)
- Fish (wild Alaskan salmon, sardines, halibut, mackerel, shellfish and other fish approved by the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch.)
- Grains (non-glutinous types such as buckwheat, millet, amaranth, and quinoa)
- Green beans
- Meat (free-range beef, poultry, lamb, wild game)
- Nuts and seeds (other than cashews and peanuts)
- Oils, healthy choices: olive, coconut, sesame, flax, sunflower, and butter oil
- Sauerkraut (Lacto-fermented or “raw,” found with refrigerated foods, is beneficial. Sauerkraut made by vinegar pickling needs to be avoided.)
- Snow peas
- Stevia (for sweetening)
- Swiss chard
- Yogurt (unpasteurized and unflavored)